Monday, February 9, 2009

recession and your credit card

Here we are talking of recession in the USA and its fallout in other countries. I was in the United States the last two months and witnessed a lack lustre thanksgiving and christmas shopping season.It made me wonder about the american way of life(swiping your credit card for even the smallest of purchases) Now get me wrong, b'cause that's exactly what I too was doing.i.e using my credit card for making purchases as low as $2. The way of life in the era of recession made me really think!! are we doing the right thing. For the small convenience of not needing to carry cash, do we not spend more than that we intended to whenever we use the colourful piece of plastic to pay with. If you look keenly at your photo on the card before you swipe it you cant miss the smirk!! which says dude do you need all this stuff!
Most of us miss reading the fine print and pages of text which comes to you along with the credit card under the opinion that "why do i need to know things like interest rate. Im going to be paying of my dues every month promptly. Maybe it works if you have a regular pay cheque.But what happens when the pay cheque is no longer coming in and the bills come pouring in and you end up using the card and start paying only the minimum amount.Let me warn you those of you who are doing this stop it now!! before you start drowning in interest debt. Try not to use your credit card when you go shopping for necessities.
I am still trying to figure out how the American Health Insurance Industry works. As of now I am unable to comprehend why medicines and hospitalisation is so expensive and also why there is copay even when you pay your insurance.I am from the insurance industry so this does interest me.So I shall write about it in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment